Fall Raking Skills
A new season is upon us and with it comes a new set of chores to do before the snow falls. Here are a few tips for raking leaves that might make this task a little easier.
- Rake in both directions, using both sides of your body. First rake in one direction for 5-10 minutes, then switch, holding the rake on the other side for another 5-10 minutes.
- Take frequent breaks. Breaking the work up into 30-45 minute loads will help ease the strain on your body and give your muscles a break.
- Keep your body upright and your back straight. This will decrease the load on your spine and keep your back happy.
- When collecting the leaves make sure to hinge at your hips, bend at the knees and keep your back straight.
- You can pick up more leaves at a time by using one hand and the rake to collect them.
- Having a little helper like this guy in the picture will make the job more fun (and also more time consuming haha).